FRIENDS OF MAIN STREET
PROGRESS TO DATE
- From small beginnings in 2012 a group of volunteers started out by weeding the planted beds at the foot of Main Street on Farmer’s Market Saturdays and doing some litter-picking to improve the look of the planted areas there.
- In 2015 we redesigned one of the beds as a cottage garden, planted mainly with insect-friendly shrubs and flowering plants, fruit, and herbs, and removed most of the weeds.
- We also maintain and plant the six large containers in Main Street with summer and winter bedding and bulbs, and since 2016 we have done this with the enthusiastic participation of groups of children of the four nurseries in Balerno.
- In 2017 we put up some hanging baskets in Main Street with help from the businesses there and intend to do the same again this year.
None of this would have been possible without the help from various organisations including City of Edinburgh Council; Currie Balerno and District Round Table so that we have plants, bulbs, gardening tools and materials to improve Main Street
- In 2018 we now maintain three beds in Main Street, but to do this we need volunteers, as we could do so much more. Come and talk to us and join us at the market. You can do as little or as much work as you want to do. We mainly work during the market, but occasionally we do some work at other times as required. All you need is a pair of stout shoes, as we can supply the tools.
You can find us at most Farmers’ Markets bent over our garden forks, working away under our large banner